Two sisters' quest to recapture the magic of the old fashioned family dinner: homemade food, heartfelt conversation and honest laughter.
Sunday, January 16, 2011
Chicken Pot Pie
Tonight I made one of our family favorites, Chicken Pot Pie. To prove it is one of our favorites, here is a picture taken approximately 30 seconds after the one above....
Something funny about our dinner tonight - our oldest boy started begging me to take him to lunch tomorrow. To a fast food place. I asked him why he wanted to go to a fast food place and he replied it was because he couldn't remember the last time he had eaten at one. It probably has been a year at the least since he's had fast food, and that was only because we were desperate for easy quick meals the last time we drove down to Arizona. Now I'm trying to figure out where to take him - I'm grossing out thinking of what I may have to eat for lunch tomorrow. Because obviously there isn't any Chicken Pot Pie left over!!!
Williams Sonoma Chicken Pot Pie
Ingredients:
1 cup sliced peeled carrots
1 cup frozen corn
1 cup frozen peas
2 tbsp. unsalted butter
2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
1/2 cup flour
1 1/2 cup chicken stock
1/2 cup half and half
1 tbsp. chopped fresh parsley
1 egg yolk, beaten
1 9 inch pie dough round
Directions:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Boil carrots for 5 minutes, add corn and boil for one more minute. Drain and set aside. In large frying pan with lid, melt butter over medium high heat. Add chicken, and cook, uncovered, for about 6 minutes, stirring occasionally until browned on all sides. Sprinkle in flour and stir well. Stir in the stock, half and half, and parsley, and bring to a simmer. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer for 6-7 minutes. Stir in vegetables, including peas. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer to a 9 inch pie dish. Brush some egg yolk in a border around edge of pie dough. Place dough, egg side down, over the filling and press dough to rim of dish. Brush surface lightly with remaining egg yolk. Cut a few slits in center of the top with the tip of a knife. Place pie dish on a baking sheet to catch spills. Bake until crust is golden brown, about 30 minutes.
This is a very versatile recipe. You can buy a rotisserie chicken at the store and use that. I always make it the day after Thanksgiving with leftover turkey. Sometimes I double the recipe and make one pie pan with peas and one without. Sometimes I double it and just put it all in a casserole dish (like I did tonight).
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


mmmm...I love chicken pot pie. I like to make a little extra and put them in those ramkin dishes for leftovers. Is Smashburger considered fast food? I would go there.
ReplyDeleteI can't believe your kids haven't had fast food in a year...GOOD for you!!!
ReplyDeleteWell, to be honest, Kapree and I meet Thom for lunch at Chik Fil A every once in awhile, but we get the fruit bowl instead of fries, and somehow ChikFilA doesn't seem as disgusting to me as other places like that!!! I think I did get the other kids a burger from a drive through once this year, but Cole wasn't with us. And unlike my little sis, I do NOT consider Smashburger fast food (it is not fast, no drive through and most importantly, they actually use real beef there) so I'm not counting that, Colby has eaten at Five Guys quite a few times!!! Unfortunately, Smashburger is over an hour away, so that's only for special occasions (gotta watch that gas money!!!).
ReplyDelete