Monday, January 17, 2011

Pot Roast with Carrots, Mashed Potatoes, Gravy and Sour Cream Yeast Rolls


For years I made roast beef in a crock pot until I realized that it was completely foul. No more. My husband bought me an enamel cast iron pot a few years ago and it's perfect for making meals like pot roast. I don't really have a recipe, but this is what I do:

Pot Roast and Carrots with Gravy

  • Drizzle olive oil in the pot and heat up on medium high heat
  • Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
  • Salt and pepper pot roast on both sides and drizzle some Worcestershire sauce on both sides, too
  • Throw pot roast in the pot and brown on both sides
  • Meanwhile, slice a whole onion and throw in there to brown up as well
  • Peel and chop up 5-6 carrots and throw into the pot
  • Turn off heat and fill the pot half way with water
  • Put lid on the pot and put in the oven for 2-3 hours (depending on size of the pot roast)
  • When the roast is done, remove meat and carrots from the pot and keep warm
  • Put a colander in a small saucepan and drain the liquid from the pot into the saucepan; add a few bouillon cubes (I like the "Better Than Bouillon" stuff from Costco)
  • In a glass jar (or something similar) combine 1/4 cup of Wondra with a cup of cold water and shake (I honestly just eyeball it and don't really know the exact amount); pour into the saucepan
  • Bring sauce pan to a boil while whisking; lower heat a little and boil for a few minutes and you have awesome gravy
Mashed Potatoes

  • Peel and cube about 6-7 russet potatoes and put into a large pot
  • Fill pot with water (covering potatoes) and boil until potatoes can easily be pierced (about 20 minutes)
  • Drain and put potatoes back into pot (heat is off).
  • This is where it is different every time...I always put a half a stick of butter in the pot, but then I put in whatever dairy products I have in the fridge (cream, half and half, sour cream, etc) and I don't measure. I just take my masher and start mashing until it gets to the right consistency. It always turns out super yummy.

We made this, of course, with our favorite rolls.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...