Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Macaroni and Cheese with Garlic Green Beans



Last night our family discussed our goals for the coming year.  I was happy to see my children embrace the opportunity to improve things.  As for me, I have so many things to improve it's overwhelming.  I do have some specific goals though that pertain to our family's meals.  One is to have more meatless meals.  This is hard for me, because for whatever reason I just draw a blank whenever I try to come up with a dinner without any meat!!  I've made a goal to at LEAST do it one day a week though, thus Meatless Monday has been born in my home!!  My other goal is to serve more fruits and vegetables to my family.  Honestly, my kids eat plenty of fruit, but the vegetable part is more....... challenging.  Since they don't like and won't eat them (except my daughter who adores salads and doesn't seem to mind that I fill them with carrots, broccoli, bell peppers)(and they will all eat bell peppers and carrots raw as snacks, but HATE THEM cooked)I've taken the easy route most of the time and just not served them with our meals. 

For dinner last night I made my most favorite macaroni and cheese recipe.  This is so good!!  I served it with green beans that turned out so yummy I ended up eating them like french fries!  Of course, the kids gagged on the ONE I forced them to eat.  Typical!!  Baby steps, Kathee, baby steps..........



Down Home Macaroni and Cheese


4 tbsp. butter, divided
1/4 cup flour
1 tsp. salt
2 cups milk
1/4 pound Velveeta
8 oz. cheddar cheese, shredded (sharp please, if you're boring mild will do.....)
2 cups elbow macaroni, cooked and drained (or any other small pasta)
2 tbsp. seasoned dry breadcrumbs

Directions:

Melt 4 tbsp. of the butter in a large saucepan on low heat.  Blend in flour and salt; cook and stir 1 minute.  Gradually add milk; cook, stirring contantly, until thickened.  Add Velveeta, (cut into cubes) and 1 and 1/2 cups of the cheddar cheese.  Stir in macaroni.  Pour into lightly greased 1 1/2 quart casserole dish.  Melt remaining tbsp. of butter and mix with the bread crumbs.  Sprinkle casserole with remaining 1/2 cup of cheese and bread crumbs.  Bake at 350 for 20 minutes.

Recipe from allrecipes.



Garlic Green Beans


I made this recipe up.  I melted 2 tbsp. of butter and about 2 tbsp. of olive oil in a skillet.  I added appox. 3/4 pound of fresh green beans and put a lid on top for about 5 minutes.  After the 5 minutes, I added 2 tsp. of minced garlic, salt, pepper and onion powder.  Then I decided it didn't look garlic-y enough so I gave them a good dousing with garlic powder.  I let them cook for a few more minutes and then they were done!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...