Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Tex-Mex Egg Rolls with Creamy Cilantro Dipping Sauce


Today I am grateful for this blog. I've had a down day and was really comfortable on the couch with my warm quilt, snuggling my baby when my husband walked through the door. I contemplated having toast for dinner for a second but then realized that toast wouldn't be very fun to write about. So I got up and made dinner. I notice that when I don't want to do things that are normally fun for me (like cooking) then there must be something wrong. These baby blues seem to be lasting a long time this time. So, thank you blog for making me cook today.

Today I made Tex-Mex Egg rolls and they are so, so yummy. I usually always make them a day or two after I make Chinese Egg rolls because I always have egg roll wrappers left over and I can't let anything go to waste. Besides, like I said, these are sooooo yummy (especially the sauce!).

Tex-Mex Egg Rolls with Creamy Cilantro Dipping Sauce

1 pkg. (5oz) yellow rice
1 tsp. salt
1 lb. Hot pork sausage
1 (15oz) can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 (14.5oz) can Mexican style diced tomatoes, undrained
2 cups shredded Monterey Jack
6 green onions, finely chopped
1 pkg. taco seasoning
28 egg roll wrappers
1 large egg, lightly beaten
4 cups peanut oil

Cook rice according to pkg. directions, using 1 tsp. salt. Cool completely. Cook sausage in a skillet over med. heat, stirring until it crumbles and is no longer pink; drain well. Let cool. Stir together rice, sausage, black beans and next 4 ingredients in a large bowl. Spoon about 1/3 cup of mixture in center of each egg roll wrapper. Fold top corner of wrapper over filling, tucking tip of corner under filling. Lightly brush remaining corner with egg; tightly roll filled ends towards the remaining corner and gently press to seal. Pour oil into heavy dutch oven; heat to 375 degrees. Fry egg rolls, in batches, 2-3 minutes or until golden. Drain on wire rack over paper towels. Serve with creamy cilantro dipping sauce.

Creamy Cilantro Dipping Sauce:
1 (10oz) can Mexican style diced tomatoes
4 oz cream cheese, softened
1 cup loosely packed fresh cilantro
½ cup sour cream
1 garlic clove, minced

Process ingredients in a food processor until smooth. Makes 1 ½ cups.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Carrie! I saw this blog on Nicole's side bar. I love your recipes and am excited to try some!

    Congrats on the new baby. Those baby blues are killer. I know first hand. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah! I can finally comment on something you write about:) I think your private blog is amazing by the way! I feel for you with the baby blues. Had post partum once with Britt and it was HORRIBLE. It gets better as I'm sure you already know. And I am SOOOO going to try this! I hate cooking so I always want to know if something is worth trying and these sounds really yummy. Thanks Carrie!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...