Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Skillet Lasagna, Breadsticks and Cinnamon Bread


Perhaps you thought that my addiction to tormenting my children had subsided, but don't fear, it is alive and well!  I'm not quite sure why every time I am drawn to a meatless meal it contains ricotta, but I AM sure that I have two children who are extremely irritated with me because of it.  This meal was so fast and easy, yay!  I love fast and easy meals.  I saw a recipe for Skillet Lasagna here, and I decided that I would make it a little bit easier by just using jarred spagetti sauce, and a little bit more palatable for ME by using ricotta instead of cottage cheese.  I feel about cottage cheese the way two of my kids feel about ricotta.  I get shivers even THINKING about it.  Yuck.  This breadstick recipe is another fast one, and it is delicious.  The cinnamon bread, well, what can I say?  It's bread with cinnamon, of course I loved it.  It was gone the next morning so I'm pretty sure some other people in my home loved it too (unless I Sleep Ate it, which is a possibility.  There's got to be a reason why I keep gaining weight, and blaming it on me eating food while I'm sleeping is just honestly the most logical thing for me to believe right now.)


Skillet Lasagna
Recipe modified from Remodelaholic


Ingredients:

24 oz. jar of spagetti sauce
15 oz. ricotta cheese
2/3 cup Parmesan
3 tbsp. dried parsley
2 beaten eggs
3/4 cup Mozzarella
salt and pepper
1 box (or less) No cook Lasagna Noodles

Directions:
Put 1/3 of the jar of spagetti sauce in an oven proof skillet.  Break up a couple of the lasagna noodles and layer it over the spagetti sauce.  In a bowl, combine the ricotta, parsley, eggs, 1/4 cup of Mozarella and salt and pepper to taste.  Spread half of the ricotta mixture over the noodles.  Repeat this with the sauce, noodles and ricotta.  Top with one cup Mozzarella.

Then place back on the burner, medium high heat for five minutes covered.  Remove the lid and place the whole skillet into preheated 400 degree oven (make sure your skillet is oven safe!) and bake for 20 more minutes.

Let stand a few minutes before serving.




Breadsticks
Recipe from Siggy Spice


Ingredients:
1-½ cups warm water
1  tbsp. instant (rapid rise) yeast from a jar.  Sorry, the packets don't hold a full TBSP
2 tbsp. sugar
3-½ cups all purpose flour
½ tsp salt
2-4 tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 tbsp. garlic salt
1-2 tsp herbs/seasoning of your choice.  I am using an herb blend that is for mixing with olive oil and dipping bread, but any herb or combo of herbs that you like would work well.
4 tbsp. melted butter
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese

Directions:
 
Mix together water, yeast, sugar, flour, and salt in a large bowl or electric mixer and knead for three minutes. Let the dough rest for 10 minutes.
Heat oven to 375 degrees. Spread 1-2 tbsp. olive oil (just enough to coat) onto the bottom of a 16"x14" cookie sheet.  Roll out the breadstick dough about 1/4 to 1/2-inch thick and large enough to fit onto baking sheet.  Place whole sheet of dough on baking sheet, then brush 1-2 tbsp. olive oil over top of dough making sure it is all lightly covered.  Sprinkle garlic salt and herbs of choice over top of olive oil.  Using a pizza cutter, cut breadsticks into desired length and width.   Cover loosely with plastic wrap and let rise for 30 minutes.
Remove plastic wrap and place in preheated oven and allow to bake for 15-17 minutes until golden brown.  Remove from oven and brush melted butter all over top and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.






Cinnamon Bread
Recipe from Tasty Kitchen


Ingredients:

2 cups All-purpose Flour
1 cup White Sugar
2 teaspoons Baking Powder
½ teaspoons Baking Soda
½ teaspoons Salt
2 teaspoons Cinnamon
2 whole Eggs
1 cup Buttermilk
2 teaspoons Vanilla Extract
¼ cups Oil
2 Tablespoons Sugar
1 teaspoon Cinnamon
1 Tablespoon Butter

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350F. Spray loaf pan with cooking spray and set aside.
In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, eggs, buttermilk, extract and oil. Beat/whisk together for about 2 minutes.  Pour batter into a prepared pan (large size) and smooth top.  In a small bowl combine sugar and cinnamon and cut in the butter using a knife and fork until mixture is crumbly.  Sprinkle cinnamon mixture on top of batter. Use a knife and cut in a swirling motion, giving it a marble effect.
Place in oven and bake for 50 minutes. Test with toothpick. Allow to cool for a few minutes before removing loaf from pan.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...